Sponsored by the Office of Education of the Diocese of Allentown, St. Joseph Center for Special Learning offers academic, social, religious, and pre-vocational instruction for students ages 5 – 21 with intellectual and developmental disabilities in Schuylkill and surrounding counties.
St. Joseph Center for Special Learning is committed to educating and supporting children and adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities in a Christ-centered environment to reach their maximum potential and to help them lead dignified and meaningful lives.
- Specialized Learning - At St. Joseph Center the daily schedule provides for an appropriate balance of spiritual, academic, recreational, and therapeutic activities individually tailored to each student.
- No two students have exactly the same skills or learning style. That’s why at SJC we create an individual learning plan for every child. Your plan will combine direct instruction, small-group work, and one-on-one tutoring in a way that works for your student.
- OUR PROMISE – At St. Joseph Center, we promise to address the emotional needs of each person; to maintain a Christ-centered atmosphere, to provide individual instruction and support plans; to encourage a partnership between home and school; to meet our students occupational; physical and sensory needs; to promote a caring and respectful environment; and to develop life, community and vocational skills.
Special academic programing (Ap courses, special virtual programming, unique electives, career pathways/programs, specially certified programs)
- Conductive Education Program - A comprehensive, intensive and multi-disciplinary approach to education, training, and development for individuals with cerebral palsy, spina bifida and other motor challenges. It focuses on the skills needed to become more independent and social.
- Vocational Training Program - At St. Joseph Center for Special Learning, we offer Vocational Training in our PAES lab where students utilize a simulated work environment to explore vocations. The lab uses office equipment, kitchen appliances and utensils, and carpentry tools to provide students hands-on experience to help them learn a skill or trade.
- Adult Day Program - Our adult, over-21 program is a state licensed Community Habilitation Program open to individuals age 21 and over who, due to functional level, are unable to join the workforce. Each program participant is provided daily opportunities to expand their knowledgebase and smile, as they enjoy their interactions with peers.